Both anonymous proxy servers and VPNs can add a layer of protection when browsing on iPhones, but they can also cause an inconvenience. Fortunately, you can disable proxy and VPNs in the network configuration of your iOS device.
In this article, you’ll learn how to find proxy server settings on your iPhone, how to disable them, and what happens if you’re using an anonymous proxy server.
You’ll also learn how to turn off the VPN on your iPhone and the most common reasons you would want to do this.
- 1 Proxy in WiFi vs. Proxy on iPhone
- 2 Disabling Anonymous Proxy on iPhone
- 3 Why Does the Proxy Server Keep Turning On?
- 4 What Happens When You Disable Proxy Settings?
- 5 Using Anonymous Proxies
- 6 How to Disable the VPN on Your iPhone
- 7 Benefits of Disabling VPN on iPhone
- 8 Conclusion
A proxy server allows you to browse anonymously and access websites you otherwise wouldn’t be able to see. There are 3 primary proxy settings, Transparent, SOCKS, and HTTP proxies.
The proxy settings on your iPhone (and other iOS devices) act as an additional shield between your device and the internet.
On Android, websites interact with the proxy server (not the device itself). On iOS devices, websites identify the device’s proxy settings first.
If an active proxy server protects your iPhone’s internet connection, your original IP address remains hidden. As a result, websites and apps can’t recognize your device’s physical location.
In most cases, your HTTP Proxy setting should be set to Off. If it’s left on, web traffic goes through a proxy server.
This can come in handy if you’re using an HTTP Proxy. Otherwise, it will only be a nuisance, and you’ll need to disable proxy settings for HTTP.
Disabling Anonymous Proxy on iPhone
There are 2 methods to disable proxy settings on iPhones.
Disable Anonymous Proxy Method 1
- First, click on the “Settings” application on your iPhone.
- Select “WLAN” and choose your current WiFi network.
- After opening the WiFi network settings, find the “HTTP PROXY” tab and click on it.
- Tap the “Configure Proxy” tab, and you’ll see 3 options. The first one will be the “Off “setting.
- After selecting “off”, your proxy should be disabled.
Disable Anonymous Proxy Method 2
- Go to the “Settings” app on your iPhone and find your current WiFi connection.
- Click on the information icon next to it and click on the “HTTP PROXY” tab.
- Select the “Configure Proxy” tab and tap on the off settings.
- You will be disconnected from the proxy server.
Sometimes, proxy settings can override your selected settings to disable proxy. This usually happens if your device’s settings have been compromised by malware.
For most iPhone users, this rarely happens, but if it does, you’ll need to double-check your device’s proxy settings.
When you disable proxy settings, your connection to the internet won’t be as secure anymore. However, a proxy service only protects the browser or app you’re currently using and not the entire device.
Accessing the manual proxy setup and turning off the proxy will not affect the rest of the data traffic. Data transfer from and to the apps that have access to the internet can only be secured and filtered with a VPN. Proxy settings will have no bearings on them.
The proxy settings on your iPhone allow you to browse anonymously. However, even if they don’t hide your activity from your internet service provider, they conceal your IP address.
If you disable proxy settings, your ISP will not be the only one tracking your online activities and collecting sensitive personal information.
An anonymous proxy tool is an intermediate and privacy shield between a client’s computer and the rest of the internet. It’s provided by an anonymous proxy server, also known as an anonymizer.
By concealing the client’s computer’s identifying information, it accesses the internet on the user’s behalf while protecting the user’s personal information.
Streaming services detect proxies because they use Domain Name System (DNS). A DNS registers IP addresses and links them to domain names.
When accessing a streaming service like Netflix, your browser sends a request to the DNS, and the website detects this.
Even if you’re using an anonymous proxy to conceal your IP address, you can still get the “Anonymous Proxy Detected” notification when accessing these sites.
The biggest disadvantage of anonymous proxies is the risk of being vulnerable to malware. While iPhones provide high levels of security against viruses and other drive-by internet attacks, using an IP anonymizer can lower your protection.
This is the recommended option, as it’s guaranteed to work regardless of the VPN app you use. Here is how to do it:
- Tap on the Settings app on your iPhone and tap on “General.”
- Find the “VPN and Device Management” tab and click on it.
- You’ll see a “VPN” tab at the top of the list. Click on it to access the “Status” toggle.
- Move the toggle to off. Your iPhone should now disconnect from the VPN.
- If you see the connection turning on again, your VPN connection has a “Connect On Demand” feature. To disable this, click on the “i” beside the VPN connection.
- Here, you’ll find a “Connect On Demand” toggle. Switch it off, and the VPN service will be disabled.
Depending on the VPN you’re using; you can disable the VPN connection through the VPN app. Most popular VPN providers have this feature.
To see if your VPN provider allows you to drop your connection go into the VPN app and look for the “Disconnect” tab. If you see one, tap on it, and your device will disconnect its VPN connection automatically.
Due to the rise of tracking apps and the multitude of reasons for tracking people’s internet activities, VPNs have become a popular way of masking a real IP address. That said, there are also benefits to disabling them.
Certain streaming services detect VPNs, and when they do, they’ll restrict your access to their content. By disabling VPN, you can avoid this issue and still access your favorite content – provided it’s not geo-restricted.
Without a VPN, you’ll be able to browse much faster. If you’re not accessing a restricted website or handling sensitive information, browsing without a VPN makes more sense.
Disabling a proxy on iPhone isn’t a complicated process. After finding the device’s proxy settings, you select the appropriate settings to turn off the proxy server.
Turning off the proxy and VPN will allow you to access websites that look for these services.
If you want to enjoy the benefits of a proxy server without the risk of being blocked, use an anonymous proxy tool.
You can disable the VPN connection on your iPhone through the VPN app and the device’s settings app, as stated above.